4.21.2014

Revival (Kinda)

I'm pretty sure I posted something exactly like this a year or so ago. So let's skip past the apologies and empty promises and I'll tell you something real instead. I can't say how often I will post, if at all. But I need an outlet, and I need accountability. So I'll revive the blog to keep up my observations and complaints, just to give me some direction and practice. Practice in what, you ask? (Let's be real, no one is asking.) Practice in not being a quitter. There is no noble cause here, no higher sense of purpose. It's all just an exercise in selfishness and self-development.

I've been in Troy for almost a year and a half, and in that time I have grown to tolerate this city. I would never say love, or even like, but at least I no longer disdain my new-ish town. I know how that makes me sound. But I've never gotten the rush of excitement coming here like I do going home to Long Island or New York. I've found things to love: the farmers' market, the cute mom-and-pop shops (that are owned by people my age, so does that make them mid-twenties shops?), the fresh produce, but I'm not in love. Maybe I need a few years. Maybe all I will ever have is a mild appreciation for Troy, that allows me to wax poetic about all that I have learned here (skiing, driving on highways, hydroponic care, and hiking).

One thing that has always struck me about the residents of the Capital Region is how prejudiced they are against Troy. I'm constantly met with, "You live in the ghetto," or "oh, it is so far away, all the way across the river!" The Hudson is about 100 feet wide, if that, and there are countless bridges to cross it. How does 100 feet east differ from 100 north or south? Why does the addition of water matter so much in the location equation? And last I checked, Troy was not the ghetto - it is the same as every other factory town on the banks of the Hudson. Like every other river town, its heyday was over 100 years ago, and it is just now starting to claw its way back into relevancy, while the rest of downstate continues to suffocate itself with overpopulation and overdevelopment.

Even though I am not in love with Troy, I refuse to let people diss my new town. It's kind of like talking shit about your family; it's okay for you to do it, but if anyone outside the inner circle dares to say anything negative, there will be hell to pay.


No comments:

Post a Comment